Sunday, October 10, 2010

Of all issues.
(just a tiny part of "all")

The past two hours was spent discussing the history of china, art history, music history, ancient greece, religion, consumerism and global warming with my mom. Sometimes I really wish I could stay at home and study about everything about the world instead of working.

History isn't all about war, conflicts and politics, there's so much more we can learn about the evolution of mankind. I know, learning for the joy of it is considered "time wasting" and isn't as constructive as working or earning money in this economically driven world.

I wish education was about learning and the satisfaction of inquisitive minds, not competing or scoring well for exams to gain a place in university. All we're studying for is to earn more money in the future so we can spend and drive the economy. (inserts explanation about the multiplier effect, monetary policy, etc)

Because our brains are the only resources here. And yay for university, one step closer to becoming the boss of a TNC to help destroy the world!! More carbon emission, more packaging!! Wonderful. If you're not a boss, do something meaningful, do researches, then marry someone who loves spending and contribute to the game of "destroying the world" as well! Fun, isn't it?

-----------------------------------------------

In this case I mean OVER consumption. But hey, who's to define what over-consumption is? Perhaps a branded bag per day isn't considered over consumption for someone.

I myself was (and probably am) guilty of committing all these "crimes". Look, I'm killing a bizillion trees by making notes, using electricity while typing this. We're willing to pay for convenience, multiply individual consumption by the population in the world (mostly DCs) and BOOM that's how we're all gonna die soon.

We're gonna pay for the damage we have done in 20 years' time if we don't do anything. Like it's easy to do something when everybody goes back to the issue of money eventually.

The only perfect solution I can think of is to build space craft, let people on like the noah's ark, let yellowstone erupt so the earth can go through the next ice age and man will finally have a new beginning. I know I sound naive right now, but there aren't many solutions to save mankind, is there?

=========================================

Damn it, I have to go back to my books even though there's so much more to say revolving these topics. What the hell am I doing with my life? Talking about studies, I hate how GP is such a beautiful subject yet it's so exam focused, most of it's essence as a subject driven by the many perspectives is gone. I also hate myself for taking economics instead of literature.

Honestly I care more about liking the subject and learning more instead of scoring well for examinations. What the hell am I doing in a junior college then? I think I really like what we're learning and that's about it. I love how much I've learnt throughout these two years, wouldn't mind going through a few more years of education, heck the exams and do some genuine learning.

And I can do Music and Art at the same time. Perfect, huh?


(I don't know if you consider this whining, at least it's not exactly whining about myself.. right?)

No comments: